Super Bowl LV 2021

Photo Courtesy of Altoona Mirror

Tom Brady in front of the crowd as they celebrate his victory.

Nathaniel Barbosa, Staff Writer

On February 7th, 2021 the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 31- 9 in Super Bowl LV at the Buccaneers home field, Raymond James Stadium in Tampa Florida. 

Tom Brady is now solidified as the G.O.A.T., greatest of all time, after winning his 7th Super Bowl with his first season with the Buccaneers after cutting ties with his former team the New England Patriots. Tom Brady proved the haters wrong and won a Super Bowl without his former coach, Bill Belichick, who many thought was the key to Brady’s previous successes. 

Jayden Castanos, a senior at Alta Loma High School and Varsity Track member said that, “Yeah I believe that Tom Brady is the G.O.A.T., because he has won 70% of the Super Bowls he’s played in that’s a 7 out of 10 success rate which is insane”

Tom Brady couldn’t have done it without the help of his former tight end Rob Gronkowski, who unretired to reunite with his old teammate in Tampa. Brady threw Gronk two touchdown passes that would set the record for most postseason touchdowns by QB-Receiver combo at 14. 

Aidan Saenam, a senior at Alta Loma High School and Varsity Football player said that, “I was the most excited to see Antonio Brown score a touchdown, because of his comeback story.”

Antonio Brown, before signing with the Bucs, was known for his problematic antics. He played on three different teams in less than a year due to the drama he caused. A year ago, Antonio Brown was also in jail charged for burglary amongst other charges. Before signing with the Buccaneers, the last time he played on an NFL field was in 2019.

The Buccaneers victory has been overshadowed by speculation that there was help from the referees, after some questionable and costly penalties against the Chiefs.

Castanos said, “I think were some bad calls on both sides, but no I don’t think there was cheating involved.”

A notable event during the Super Bowl was the rookie safety Antoine Winfield Jr., breaking up pass from Mahomes to Tyreek Hill then sticking up Hill’s signature peace sign in his face. After getting some backlash for his unsportsmanlike conduct, Winfield explained that it was revenge for earlier in the season when Hill threw the peace sign at him and back flipped in the endzone.

Let’s not forget about the heavily criticized halftime show by the Weeknd.

Saenam said that, “I thought it was really cool. The Weeknd singing was really good plus the outfit and colors. I thought it turned out great. I also liked the mirror scene it was very clean.”

After the Buccaneers victory over the Chiefs, Tom Brady has established himself as the G.O.A.T.

The Buccaneers defense proved the Chiefs weren’t unstoppable by holding them to only 3 field goals. Gronkowski and Brady have proved to be the greatest quarterback-receiver duo.

Antonio Brown made the perfect comeback. The Buccaneers won fairly. Tyreek Hill got what he deserved. The Weeknd knows how to mesmerize and disorient his audience.