Being an Adult in High School

Jeff+Shifter%2C+senior%2C+turned+18+during+this+year+

Jeff Shifter, senior, turned 18 during this year

Makenzie Guillen, Editor

Senior year of high school is said to be the best year out of the four. Since the majority of seniors are 17, a lot of people don’t realize that some of them turn 18 before the year ends. 

This happens because of the birthday cutoff when kids are enrolled in school. You have to be a certain age by a certain month to enroll in school that year. This leads to kids having birthdays in the middle of the school year, making them older than their peers. So, when senior year comes around, this causes some students to enter adulthood. 

Being an adult while still in high school is an interesting experience. There are many pros and cons to being an adult, but then you are still in high school on top of that, and it’s a whole new experience. 

“I think it comes with more responsibility and knowledge considering that you are an adult in high school. You have to be humble, respectful, and kind to lower classmen, you also have to be aware that your actions are more important than when you were a junior and younger. But overall being an adult is amazing! For example, you can get a parking pass and leave school early. Everything is good,” says Jeff Shifter, senior

Adulthood is something that many students look forward to. You are now able to do things such as buy lottery tickets, get tattoos and piercings, legally drive your friends who are under 18, get into rated R movies, and you can legally buy yourself a pet from a pet store. 

On the flip side, there are some limitations given that you are still in high school. You still need a work permit, you still are treated like everyone else, and unfortunately your parents will still most likely enforce a curfew. 

Needless to say, kids who end up turning 18 while still in high school experience something that no one else will understand.