Back At It Again!

Nicholas Khoury, Staff Writer

The football field patiently awaits for practice to begin after a year of being empty.

The 2020-2021 school year has been a long, slow, and painful ride for all of us.

The athletes at ALHS have taken a huge hit from the pandemic.

They have not been able to train, practice, or compete. Coaches have also been hit quite hard.

Earlier this year in February however, practices for baseball, softball, football, tennis, water polo, and other sports were approved to begin.

They are required to wear masks when not performing high intensity activity. They are also required to distance themselves when possible. They have been able to do all of these things due to the spread of COVID-19 slowing down in San Bernardino County.

They are no longer required to practice in pods, like they had to before. The majority of athletes are thankful that play has resumed for sports.Practice

Mackenzie Clark, a freshman on the varsity softball team, had this to say about practices resuming. “After making the varsity softball team, I now have practice everyday from 3 to 5 in the afternoon. Practice consists of drills, communication, and lots of teamwork. I enjoy being able to have practice after school because I still have time to play for my travel ball team. Not only am I grateful to practice, but am grateful to play, and represent Alta Loma.”

Another freshman named Dylan Hunter, stated, “I have been waiting to play football again for nearly a year and am so happy that it has finally happened. We practice everyday from 2:30 to 5:00 in the afternoon. I enjoy every minute of it.”

It is no surprise that student-athletes are excited and grateful to be playing again. It is a normal reaction to be happy to do something after not being able to for an entire year.

All that matters now is that our athletes are doing what they love and are having fun.