Ava Michelle is Back and Taller Than Ever

WireImage

LOS ANGELES, CA – SEPTEMBER 09: Ava Michelle attends the Premiere Of Netflix’s “Tall Girl” at Netflix Home Theater on September 9, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Gregg DeGuire/WireImage)

Makenzie Guillen, Editor

Netflix’s Tall Girl made its debut September 13th, 2019, and became extremely popular. Through the many memes that came from the movie, it was almost impossible to find someone who hadn’t heard of the movie. 

Despite its popularity, the memes actually aimed at making fun of the movie, rather than promoting it in a positive way. One meme had to do with the line opening line, “You think your life is hard? I’m a high school junior wearing size 13 Nikes. Men’s size 13 Nikes. Beat that.” 

Many people were annoyed with the fact that the main character claimed that her life was so difficult because of her shoe size, when there are people out there struggling with much bigger things. Finding shoes and clothes that fit properly is a common struggle that all tall people know too well, and tall girls do have it a little tougher than the guys. 

However, this issue isn’t as bad as the movie makes it out to be. Many of the things touched on in the movie were way over dramatized. For example, they made the running joke of the movie be how Jodi, the main character, gets annoyed because she gets asked, “How’s the weather up there?” every single day. 

Many tall people have heard that line at least once in their lives, but it isn’t as common as “Wow you’re tall” or “How tall are you?”. 

It seems that if people who were actually tall collaborated on the movie and they focused on the issues and stigma of being a tall girl, rather than some teen drama, the movie would have been better received.

Now, there is a Tall Girl 2 in the works and it is expected to release on Netflix sometime in 2022. 

Filming for the movie has started in New Orleans, and fans are curious to see where the writers go with the plot, seeing how the last movie ended. 

“I hope to see more diversity in the film! Hopefully they are able to include/introduce new characters to the story that make it more unique! I also hope we see more of the relationship between Jodi and Jack! I thought their relationship was very cute and I hope to see more of it,” says Mia Iglesias, senior. 

Well, hopefully this movie is an improvement of the last one, seeing as the fans made it very clear on what should be changed.