This Show is too Élite

The new students at Las Encinas prepare to get riddled in drama. Photo Courtesy of Variety.com

Chris Apablaza, Staff Writer

Élite, is a Spanish teen drama which premiered on Netflix on October 5th, 2018. The show has been a large hit with fans all over the world, and the Spanish teen drama announced on May 22, 2020, that it would be having a Season 4.

Recently on April 12th, 2021, Netflix announced that the show’s fourth season would be released on June 18, 2021!

Although some fans were also saddened since news broke out that the actors playing Lucrecia Montesinos Hendrich (Danna Paola), Carla Rosón Caleruega (Ester Exposito), Nadia Shana (Mina El Hammani), Valerio Montesinos Rojas (Jorge López), and Polo Benavent Villada (Álvaro Rico) would not be returning for the fourth installment of Élite. Last time on Élite, the show ended with the death of Polo, and the characters preparing for their new lives, as some would have to repeat school for having illegal possessions. The show ended as Samuel, Guzmán, Ander, Omar, and Rebeka entered Las Encinas, once again to start school, and Cayetana having to work as a cleaner for the school after she lost money to pay and stay in school. 

Since then, fans have desperately waited for the announcement if a Season 4 was in the works. Then the time came and as it was announced, it was also announced that new actors would be joining the cast. Five new characters were announced, Mencía (Martina Cariddi),  Ari (Carla Diaz), Patrick (Manu Rios), Phillipe (Pol Granch), and New School Director (Diego Martín). 

Netflix then dropped more information on the newest season on April 12, 2021, as the first teaser trailer was released. The first trailer had a ton of new information, and fans gathered all that info together. From it, fans can tell that Samuel, and Guzmán would be in a love triangle with Ari.

Omar, Ander, and Patrick would also seem to be in a love triangle, Cayetana would be in a relationship with Phillipe, and Rebeka would become friends (or maybe more) with Mencía. 

It was also announced that the new characters would be the ones causing the issue at the school, which has always been a main story in each Élite season, preparing fans for the mischief and drama of the new cast.

Fans seemed to be excited for the new cast, new plots, and the renewal for season 4. “I thought it was freaking awesome, I honestly got super pumped and excited”, stated Ella Adams, 10th grade, when Netflix announced the fourth season of Élite. Rochelle Davis Perez, 9th grade, agreed and stated, “I think it is good and I wanted a new season of Élite”.

Amber Torres, senior, said “I’m excited for the renewal of season 4 but I’m also sad because most of the original girls will be gone”. Adams stated that she liked the new plot lines of the fourth season and that she was excited to see them play out during the course of the show, and she said that she did not hate any of them.

Torres on the other hand, said “As of right now I don’t really like the new characters because I’m so used to the old ones. I’m hoping plots don’t get dumb like Riverdale, but other than that I want to see what they come up with”.

Adams also stated ¨My favorite character in the show is still Samuel, and I still dislike Guzmán”, while Rochelle said “Patrick is my favorite new character, but I don’t like Mencía so far”.

Season four has a lot of new plots for the story which seems to be extremely juicy and dramatic, and Rochelle stated “I want to see if Rebeka and that one girl (Mencía) get together”. Amber stated about the Omar, Ander, and Patrick love triangle saying “Love triangles kind of hurt my heart, but I’m expecting that from Élite. A new plot I’m excited to see is how Omar’s and Ander’s relationship is going to play out with Patrick

A plot I’m not excited to see though will also be the whole Omar, Ander, and Patrick thing. I don’t know, but they always have so much drama between them and sometimes it’s tiring”.

Élite, always has a thing for drama such as in season’s 1 murder of Marina, and Season’s 3 murder of Polo

Torres believes that Élite will follow this same pattern for season 4. “So the crimes during season 1 and season 3 were interesting, and I think the crime for season 4 will probably be just another murder”, she stated. Although some fans worry that season 4 might be a tad too much for Élite, Ella thinks that it can live up to previous seasons because of the new characters, and new plots.

She thinks it will add something fresh to the show and could in a way maybe make the show better. Rochelle on the other hand stated “No I do not think it will live up to the other seasons because Carla isn’t there and she made the show worth watching”. To finish up, the girls then quoted their favorite quotes from Élite.

Perez said “Love is not a crime, and he’s not a criminal.” which was stated by the iconic and fan loved Lucrecia. Then both Ella and Amber said “You’re not angry, you’re jealous”, which is the line Carla said in the series. Although season 4 was announced, season 5 of Élite was also announced. 

Although it is not confirmed, the cast would consist of Ester Expósito, Georgina Amorós, Claudia Salas, Arón Piper, Miguel Bernardeau, Carla Diaz, Martina Cariddi, Manu Rios, and Pol Granch. It would also include newcomers to the series, Argentine actress Valentina Zenere, Brazilian actor, André Lamoglia, French actor, Adam Nourou, and Spanish model, Biel Juste. Missing would be Itzan Escamilla, and Omar Ayuso, which could be a minor spoiler in which who dies in Élite.

Till then, fans will just have to wait for season 5, and be prepared for new dramas, new plots, and possibly even new deaths. Élite will never fail to please and will always be a slow burn which fans love.