COVID-19 Update in India

Photo Courtesy of The New York Times

The unloading of oxygen tanks, a big necessity right now in hospitals in India.

Shelby Summerhays, Staff Writer

As of Tuesday, May 4, 2021 India has officially recorded 20 million Covid-19 cases.  Within the last two weeks there have been more than 300,000 new cases reported.  Overall, there have been a total of 220,000 deaths.

Freshman, Broderick Harrison said, “I find this news very sad and hope India gets help very soon.” 

The most impacted areas have been very poor areas, specifically in eastern regions such as Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.  A professor of biostatistics, at the University of Michigan, who has been studying the Covid-19 outbreak in India for over a year, reported that, “Right now we estimate that the total number of deaths could be two to five times more, and the total number of infections could be 15 times more.”  

Many countries have been accused of downplaying the amount of deaths that have occurred due to the pandemic, especially India because throughout the country people’s death registrations are incomplete. 

Health expert Gautaum Menon, reported, “In the second wave, many of the deaths have happened outside health care facilities and hospitals.  Many have died in ambulances and bodies burning on pyres outside crematoriums and even on pavements across cities and towns are not factored.  These deaths are seldom recorded.”  

A virologist, Jacob John, stated, “Because death registration is poor in India, the government will have little data to respond to the impact of Covid-19 on large sections of the population who live in the rural areas.”

Since a majority of deaths have not been reported through a registration system, the government has been unable to determine the best relief measures that need to be taken.  Alta Loma Student, Janelle Rodriguez said, “This is devastating and hopefully a solution to this problem can be found.”   

In this drastic time, there is hope that cases will lower down and help will be provided to the cause. Hoping that numbers of those infected lowers to the 0%.