Comparing 2016 vs. 2021 Makeup on TikTok

Photo Courtesy of popsugar.com

The differences between what we did back in 2016 to now is mind-blowing!

Shelby Summerhays, Staff Writer

The latest trend going viral on TikTok has been beauty guru’s creating a side-by-side comparison of their 2016 and 2021 makeup looks. 

Trends that were very popular 5 years ago are showing up again in these videos like the Instagram block eyebrows, and deep, heavy contour.  

One of the most viral videos was Tiktoker’s Klaudia Sydor’s take on this trend.  Many of the other TikTok videos that premiered after hers happened to be very similar to her routine. 

In her TikTok, Sydor used a matte lipstick for the 2016 side of the face but on the 2021 side she only used a lip liner and gloss. 

In 2016, she was doing heavy contour but now only uses a soft, subtle bronzer, and went from using no blush to now packing on a bright pink blush heavily on her cheeks.  

Freshman, Kristy Ngyuen said, “I think these TikTok’s are really cool to watch.” 

Another viral TikTok came from beauty influencer, Gary Thompson. A few years ago he was wearing a full-coverage matte foundation, but these days he tends to use a lighter-coverage foundation with a dewy or satin finish. 

Devean Austin said, “It’s really fun to see all the different looks people create.” 

His 2016 makeup look included baking, a blinding powder highlight, and bold, colorful eyeshadow, however on the other side of his face he did a soft-glam eye makeup look and used a light liquid highlighter.  

Overall, these two looks complement the skin. As always, what was once popular can always come back again and this is by far one of the best!