New School Start Time Implemented in 2021

Students at school before class starts.

Shelby Summerhays, Entertainment and Style Editor

For the 2021-2022 school year, Alta Loma High School begins 1st period at 8:30 A.M.Monday through Thursday.  Students with a zero period begin class at 7:30 AM.  The school day ends at 3:20 PM.  For the past several years 1st period began at 8:00 AM, and school ended at 2:55 PM.  

Due to Senate Bill 328 Pupil Attendance: School Start Time, approved by Governor Gavin Newsom, in 2019, by 2022-2023 school year all schools in the state of California cannot begin school hours before 8:30 A.M.  

Although this law does not have to be implemented until the 2022-2023 school year, Chaffey Joint Union High School district decided to make this change to increase learning possibilities for students.  Sophomore, Alyssa Neave said, “This new start time has given me more time to get my homework done with extra time before school starts.”  

This is especially important for those who need to improve their skill set, and gain credits they may have lost because of distance learning.  Isabel Gibboney said, “With not being able to go to school in-person last year, the new school schedule is a lot to get used to, but I’m slowly adjusting to it.”

According to the American Medical Association, American Psychological Association, and American Academy of Pediatrics, later school start times will have several health, safety, and learning benefits for young adults.  Studies found by these Associations concluded that this late start will allow students to get more sleep, be more attentive in the classroom, decrease the amount of students late and absent, and support individuals struggling with their mental health.