Teachers Opinions on Dress Code

Group of students at ALHS.

Stephanie A, Palafox

Group of students at ALHS.

Alexa Palafox, Staff Writer

There’s always been a familiar fight over dress code throughout schools in the United States for years. This fight has also had an impact on our own community as surrounding schools in the Chaffey Joint Union High School District have tried to tackle this issue. Chaffey High School and Los Osos High School have both attempted to protest- or their version of protest at least, against dress code.  “It’s really hard to make it more lenient because no matter what we do, there are going to be students who push the limit, so there’s never going to be an end to it,” Olson said when asked whether he’d make the dress code more lenient or stricter.

This sets up the question of what do Alta Loma students and staff think about our district’s dress code? Out of 10 students asked, seven students think the dress code is unfair, eight think it’s sexist, and all 10 would make it more lenient. Of these students, three identified as male, four identified as female, and three identified as other. After interviewing some staff members, their views are slightly different and slightly similar. “The dress code is definitely geared towards the female body. Unfortunately, our dress code is a reflection of our society and how women are treated and viewed, and that’s something we have to fix on a societal level,” says psychology teacher, Matthew Olson.

“The school’s dress code has definitely become more lenient since I was a student here, I think it’s fine the way it is,” said math teacher, Tishanna Pope. She also shared a situation where the way a student dressed did affect a class’s learning. “I have had times where a kid walks in and the class is staring at the student instead of paying attention to their work or the lesson… it’s hard because you don’t want to put them on the spot, but at the same time it needs to be addressed.”  

“Our district evaluates this [the dress code] year after year, and I do feel it’s fair, but sometimes it’s difficult to match up with some of the fashion trends that are out,” says principal, Jason Kaylor. When asked what one thing he would change about the dress code was, he said, “Hats, definitely hats. As much as I love school spirit, we have teams we want to support.” Many students throughout the school have the same opinion on the hat policy. How is it okay to wear a Dodger shirt for example, but not a Dodger hat?

Furthermore, there are mixed feelings about the dress code, but for the most part it depends on someone’s views and experiences on and in society that shape a person’s opinion.