Kicking off the Cross Country Season

Luke Winters

Track meet at Colton High School on Saturday, September 4th, 2021

Luke Winters, Staff Writer

Saturday, September 4th, the first race of the cross country season took place at Colton High School. More than 20 schools were in attendance, including Alta Loma. However, things didn’t go entirely according to plan; about 15 runners were not allowed to race due to exposure to Covid-19.

“I think that with our varsity kids gone and not being able to practice there was a lack of leadership,” said Jeff Mejia, head coach of the cross country team.

However, despite this obstacle, Alta Loma was able to perform well. Although there weren’t enough runners participating for Alta Loma to place as a school, four athletes performed very well. In the top 15 for their respective races were Savannah Ritchie for freshman girls, Alexa Valdez for freshman girls, Diego King for freshman boys, and Oscar Magana for senior boys.

“I felt like it was a good opportunity for our younger runners to be able to see and know what a race feels like,” said Mejia.

All in all, this provided a very interesting start to the season for all the cross country runners of Alta Loma, whether they participated or not. The seniors who were able to race had not raced since their sophomore year, so they were excited to see how they could do. On the opposite end of the spectrum, freshman were able to see how racing worked and get comfortable with the new experience as well as seeing how the hard work the seniors put in translated into their performance during the race.

“I think this season is going to be the most fundamental and the best for our freshman, and that’s just because they’re able to see the hard work our seniors are putting in before they left,” said Mejia.

It’s definitely been a different start to the season for the Alta Loma Cross Country team, but overall a good one, and one that bodes well for the rest of the year.