Netflix’s Newest Show Squid Game has Become Their Most Popular

Fiona Vo, Staff Writer

Squid Game is a Korean Drama that has been blowing up on the Internet since its release. It’s about hundreds of people who risk their lives to play children’s games for 45.6 billion won ($38.7 million U.S. dollars).

“I really liked it and absolutely loved episode 6, ‘Gganbu.’ On the other hand, I accept the ending–they didn’t cheat–but I didn’t like it. I haven’t stopped thinking about this show since I watched the finale. It taps into many human emotions. Also, the social satire is there for those of us who like to think while enjoying art. As a teacher, I’ll say an A- rating. Loved the characters and a lot of the plot, as well as the examination of the old ‘what-would-you-do?’ question. A student once said, ‘there’s no such thing as a good or bad ending–there’s just the ending,’ meaning you like it, or you don’t. I didn’t, and I wonder if my re-watch will change my mind,” comments Mr. McBride, English teacher.

Those who admire bloody, suspenseful, and action will come to love these nine episodes. It is currently only available on Netflix. It ranked No. 1 four days after its release and is still No. 1, today.

“The plot can be something similar towards us. We might do stuff we don’t want to do, but we are willing to do it for the money. Characters: 9/10. Plot: 10/10. Expectation: 8/10. Rating: 10/10,” stated Jacob Paris, Junior.

“It’s addicting to binge, but it was really predictable and upsetting to keep watching. 7/10,” Madeline Bororing, freshmen.

The show touches on the underclass’s desperation and ties to capitalism. Anti-oppression culture shifter, YK Hong describes it as a “universal shared experience of the suffering of capitalism because capitalism is fatal for everyone.”