Driver Saved by ALHS Student

Photo Courtesy of NBC news

Nizar Masri, Staff Writer

On September 16th, a 95-year-old driver sustained a medical emergency causing him to lose consciousness and crash on Baseline road. Bodie Chapman, sophomore and water polo athlete, was walking to school during the incident. When he heard the crash, he and campus officer Corey Richardson, who was supervising the crosswalk west of the school ran to the scene to investigate.

Richardson saw that the driver was unresponsive and unconscious.

“His foot was on the gas pedal revving the engine, so it was a very dangerous situation. I wasn’t sure if the car was going to take off again.” he recalled “I had nothing sharp with me, so I ran to the nearest embankment and broke the passenger side window with a rock.”

Chapman climbed through the window and unlocked the door from the other side. The entire community chipped in, some directing traffic and keeping the scene clear until an ambulance arrived. They decided to start CPR, for 8 minutes Richardson and three other parents kept the driver alive until paramedics finally came to their aid.

A defibrillator was administered to the victim until he regained consciousness. He was taken into the hospital in shabby but stable condition. A day later during recovery he sent a thank you letter to Chapman and Richardson. The pair received an outpouring of recognition and support, appearing on several local news channels. They even were invited to an LA Chargers home game to be honored for their actions. Showcasing to our community what it means to be a Brave.