California Vaccine Mandate

Alexa Palafox, Staff Writer

On October 1st, 2021; Governor Gavin Newsom announced that all students K-12 will be required to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. “We want to end this pandemic, we are all exhausted by it,” said Newsom at a news conference in San Francisco. Since we are a California public school, this requirement could be put into effect at Alta Loma possibly as early as January. This new requirement is hopefully a step toward preventing more students from catching the virus and disrupting their learning. Large amounts of students from our school have already been sent home, and both teachers and students are struggling to keep up with one another. “I support the vaccine mandate because the vaccines do work. Adding the Covid-19 vaccine will keep the families of students and school staff safer,” says Emma McNabb, junior at Alta Loma.

Statistics from Kaiser Permanente show that those fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine had 3.5 deaths per 1,000 vaccinated people, compared to a 11.1 deaths per 1,000 unvaccinated people. Along with the Moderna vaccine, those who were fully vaccinated had 3.4 deaths per 1,000 people compared to the unvaccinated with 11.1 deaths per 1,000 people. “Send your sick, unvaccinated kids to private school!” says Zoe Ellis, sophomore at Alta Loma. Out of twelve students asked, all twelve either don’t care about the mandate or agree with the Governor’s decision. Of those who neither support nor oppose the vaccine mandate, some said that they are not against the vaccine itself, but the enforcement of it. However, already 7 mandatory vaccines are required before entering 7th grade. Supporters of the vaccine argue that one more will not harm anyone.

Many critics have spoken out against the way the governor is handling the pandemic in California, going as far as holding a recall election. However, this is a big step forward towards getting our communities back to normal and creating a safer environment for students and school staff.