Why You Should Avoid Energy Drinks at All Costs

Photo taken by Shelby Summerhays

Shelby Summerhays, Style and Trends Editor

Across the country, energy drinks are advertised on television, radio stations, and billboards as drinks that intensify energy, increase mental awareness along with physical fitness. Because of this thousands of adolescents and adults consume energy drinks on a daily basis. Despite the fact, these supplements may be promoted as a healthier alternative to other drinks, they happen to have many negative effects on one’s overall health.

“I like energy drinks but I know they can be really bad for you,” stated Nathan Munoz, Sophomore.

The main ingredient in an energy drink is caffeine. In a 16 oz can there is approximately 70 to 240 mg of caffeine. Other primary ingredients include guarana, sugars, taurine, ginseng, B vitamins, glucuronolactone, yohimbe, and carnitine. Studies, conducted by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), have found that a large consumption of these ingredients can lead to critical heart and blood vessel conditions like heart rhythm disturbances and an increase in heart rate and blood pressure. A large intake of caffeine for children can cause problems for their cardiovascular system, which is still developing, or their nervous system. Caffeine has also been linked to anxiety, sleep deprivation, and dehydration.

“Since they can possibly cause a lot of health issues, I don’t like to drink energy drinks,” stated Raul Rodriguez, Sophomore.

In addition, to health problems energy drinks have brought attention to significant safety concerns. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), those who mix alcohol with energy drinks are more likely than those who do not mix alcohol with energy drinks to binge-drink, drive drunk, be a passenger in a vehicle with a drunk driver, or undergo an alcohol related injury. Over the last decade, 42% of energy-drink related hospitalizations were due to mixing them with drugs or alcohol.