Start of the Soccer Season

Photo courtesy of pixels.com

Photo courtesy of pixels.com

Luke Winters, Staff Writer

On December 3rd, the 2021 soccer season is starting for Alta Loma High School. They are going up against Upland, and the game is a home game at Alta Loma. Tryouts for the boys team already happened, September 27th up until September 30th. These tryouts were for the boys team only. Girls tryouts happened the week of November 1st to November 5th. Tryouts were held up on the grass fields north of the blacktop, and were conducted after school from 3:45 PM until 5:15 PM.

“I’m looking forward to getting some playing time, meeting new people, learning new techniques with new coaches, and growing with the team,” said Colin Capito, freshman.

The season concludes on Thursday, February 3rd with the team’s last game of the season. After that, the varsity soccer team will go to CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) to compete against schools from all across the state. This year, the varsity team consists of nineteen returning players. Eleven of those returning varsity players are seniors, so the head boys coach, Ryan McConnell, expects that the team will be able to do very well this season.

“We should be very competitive this year. Looking forward to an exciting season with this group of players,” said McConnell, head coach of the boys soccer team.

This season ought to be an interesting one, as it is the first back since COVID-19 hit. Last school year, students were not able to play soccer due to quarantine, so they will definitely be excited to get back on the soccer fields.