Soccer seasons are complete

Photo by Nizar Masri

Nizar Masri, Staff Writer

Congratulations to both Alta Loma Varsity Soccer teams, the boys exceeded expectations finishing first in the Palomares League with an 11-4-2 record. A massive improvement from last year’s 8-4-4 record and a second place league finish. Largely thanks to an amazing coaching staff led by Ryan McConnell, who has been coaching for 31 years, as well as multi sport athletes who carried the program. Alta Loma will host Santa Paula’s soccer team for the first round of the D4 playoffs, and Alta Loma looks to be heating up and refining their game at the perfect time.
Their season didn’t come without challenges though, especially when facing our rivals from Chino, Ayala.
“Offensively they communicated well and were able to get open and pass around the ball” says Elijah Frazier, sophomore on varsity. “They really dominated in terms of possession time and I feel like we will definitely focus on creating more turnovers on defense next time.” It appears they did because in their next meeting at home Alta Loma took a 2-0 win over Ayala.

Girls Varsity did very well for themselves in a challenging D1 division in a competitive soccer state like California. Finishing with an 11-4-1 record and 2nd in the Palomares league. They face off against the team trailing behind them in the rankings Saturday, the Mater Dei Monarchs, a name very familiar to anyone involved in Californian high school sports. Best of luck to our talented players in their first round of CIF-SS. This star studded team has continued to improve after an incredible performance in last year’s D3 CIF. Under the leadership of coach Benjamin Davies who has been coaching since 2012.