Brazil Mudslides Call For Federal Assistance!

Photo+Courtesy+of+Aljazeera.com+

Photo Courtesy of Aljazeera.com

Raven Landa, Staff Writer

A tragedy has occurred in Brazil’s Petropolis. On February 15, 2022 there was a mudslide and flood that damaged at least 850 homes. How the mudslide started was that a month’s worth of rain dumped on the city in several hours damaging and killing many residents. 

As of right now the death toll is at 217 but they are still counting, there are also many residents that are still missing after 2 weeks of this tragedy. Experts have also said that climate change and neglect is a big factor for this incident to happen. They have also stated that 42 children were among the victims of the storm that hit Brazil and that 33 people remain unaccounted for.

Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, who surveyed the damage in Petropolis last week, has pledged federal assistance to help residents and rebuild areas affected by the most recent storm. In the past three months, at least 236 people have died in severe storms that have hit Brazil in the past. The governor has also said that this situation is almost like war the day the storm hit. 

¨The situation is almost like war…Cars hanging from poles, cars overturned, lots of mud and water still¨ stated by Jair Bolsonaro, the governor of Petropolis on Aljazeera

Families who had to flee their homes after landslides and flooding, have started to fill out requests for financial aid. Each family is expected to receive about $195 per month to find new housing. Ever since the 60s in Southern Brazil, they have noticed they have experienced an increase in both the number in extreme rain events and the mean amount of rainfall.

¨Rain is the great villain, but main cause is poor land use¨ stated by Antonia Guerra, a geography professor on Aljazeera