State of the Union Addressed

Courtesy of the New York Times

Shelby Summerhays, Style and Trends Editor

On Tuesday, March 1, President Joe Biden addressed the nation in his State of the Union speech.  President Biden confronted the ongoing war in Europe and announced his plan for American to isolate and punish Russian President Vladmir Putin. 

“I did not watch the State of the Union address, but have seen headlines and tabloids regarding the issues addressed,” stated Alyssa Neave, Sophomore.

Prior to his speech Biden spoke with Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelensky on the phone.  Zelensky urged Biden to make a strong and powerful message during his speech.  Biden depicted the unity of NATO and the west, mentioning the U.S’s partnership with allied countries to cause economic and political destruction on Putin.  

According to the New York Times Biden stated, “While it shouldn’t have taken something so terrible for people around the world to see what’s at stake, now everyone sees it clearly.”  Biden followed this statement by announcing that U.S. troops will not be fighting on the ground in Ukraine and reassured Americans that they are safe.  

“I did not watch the State of the Union Address on television but have seen clips on TikTok and Youtube,” stated Devean Austin, Sophomore.

However, he did let Americans know that the ongoing war will have a strong impact on America’s economy.  These impacts may include an increase in the already extremely high gas prices.  As Biden condemned Putin both sides of the chamber applauded.

Many people in attendance were seen wearing blue and gold, symbolizing that they stand with Ukraine.