Is Prepackaged Communion Worth It?

courtesy of Kingdom.com

courtesy of Kingdom.com

Joel Woodcook, Staff Writer

Communion is a symbolic practice that has been done ever since the first churches were established. The elements used for it originally were bread and wine, which is still done by some Catholic Churches today, while others have come to use crackers and grape juice.

Recently, however, churches have started using prepackaged communion. This is no doubt due partially to Covid, as it is safer than passing around a tray of food. Prepackaged communion is also cheaper and easier for most churches.

“The benefits of pre-packaged communion is that it is safe and sanitized,” stated Leonardo Rivera, ALHS student and a member of the Packinghouse Church.

There is, however, a downside to prepackaged communion: it tastes awful. The cracker has a taste similar to that of cardboard, and the juice is not much better. Some might even say that it detracts from the experience of communion. What is used for communion does not matter all that much, however. All that matters is that it is a representation of the body and blood of Jesus Christ and is taken in the right mindset.

“It doesn’t matter how it is packaged, it matters for what it represents,” stated Rivera.

As such, what matters most for a church is that it is easily accessible for everyone who needs it. This means that prepackaged communion is the better choice for churches, as it is easier to obtain in larger quantities, even if it does not have as good a taste.