Transgender Restrictions in Iowa Cause Tension Among Students

Photo Courtesy of educationweek.com

Charlotte Winters, Staff Writer

Iowa government and gov. Kim Reynolds signed a bill stopping Transgender females from participating in high school sports. This bill was signed on Thursday, March third the day after the bill was put on Gov. Reynolds’s desk.

Gov. Reynolds signed the bill in front of high school girls and had a signing celebration to go along with it. The reason why the bill was passed is that they claim that it takes away chances for girls to get scholarships to go into college, it compromises their future.

The bill was passed with only Republican support. Because students are not happy with the outcome of the bill they are performing walkouts as a peaceful way to protest.

At the signing ceremony, Gov. Reynolds was addressing Transgender females as “Males” while being surrounded by girls on sports teams.

“No amount of talent, training, or effort can make up for the natural physical advantages males have over females,” she said. “It’s simply a reality of human biology. Forcing females to compete against males is the opposite of inclusivity, and it’s absolutely unfair.”  Gov. Reynolds said in her statement to the crowd at the signing was stated in an article by Daily News.

A group of students formed an LBGTQ youth advocacy group called the legislation. They lead protests against bills and threats against the LGBTQ+ community.

“Today is a dark day in Iowa’s history and will be remembered by our students, their families, and voters alike,” The advocacy group tweeted and was stated in an article by NBC News.

As the scene plays out we will see if the students will still rebel against the bill or come to terms with it or if the government will revoke the bill. The situation in Iowa is messy and will have an end whether it is the outcome we wanted or not.