Bridgerton Season 2 Inspires Trends among the Fashion Industry

Courtesy of people.com

Shelby Summerhays, Style and Trends Editor

With the release of the second season of Netflix’s beloved original series, Bridgerton there has been an inspiration of clothing and accessory pieces that enamore a mixture of romantic and glamor styles from 1811 to 1820.  Many of the costumes created for Bridgertons characters are influenced by England’s Regency period of silhouettes and shapes, while also incorporating elements of modern-day fashion for color and fabrications.  

“I love looking at the character’s outfits when I watch Bridgerton,” stated Broderick Harrison, Sophomore.

The Netflix series had their characters wear feathers in their hair among various other hair accessories, as opposed to bonnets which was a popular hair piece during the Regency period.  Cast members also wore half corsets that only extended to the top of their ribs.  Characters were often seen wearing longer opera gloves and various jewels and pearls.   For more extravagant characters, such as Queen Charlotte she wore a double corset, meaning she wore a traditional corset and then a coat with another corset inside the coat.  The show’s most prominent family, the Bridgertons, wore very muted colors such as pale blues, silvers, or greens that represented their significance in society.  While, the Featherington’s clothing consisted of very bright, vibrant colors signifying their desire to be noticed by society.  

“I like watching Youtube videos or Instagram pages to see what clothes and accessories will give a similar look to Bridgerton characters,” stated Emily Leach, Sophomore.

Encouraged by the show’s fashionable characters, countless brands have released outfits attaining a similar aesthetic such as off-the-shoulder dresses, puff sleeves, floral prints, or soft pink, blue, and yellows  Also, with the release of season 2 there has been a significant increase in the sales of gemstone necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and even tiaras.