Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Accomplished Life

Photo Courtesy of Oyze.org

The wonderful woman who achieved it all. You will be missed.

Paige Johnson, Editor

On September 18, 2020 the nation suffered a great loss. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court Justice, passed away at age 87. The Supreme Court announced her death explaining that it was caused from complications of pancreatic cancer. She died in her home in Washington D.C. surrounded by her family.

She will be remembered for all she did for, not only the country as a whole, but for all women.

The nation mourns the loss of her but as Chief Justice John Roberts said, “Today we mourn but with confidence that future generations will remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg as we knew her, a tireless, and resolute champion of justice.”

That is exactly what she is. She served 27 years in the nation’s highest court, and was arguably it’s most prominent member. She deserves to be honored for everything she has done for the people of this country. She needs to be honored for what she fought for, for what she believed in as without her this country would be an entirely different place for women.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was born in Brooklyn, New York. She earned her Bachelor’s Degree at Cornell and then went to law school at Harvard where she was one of the few women in her class. From there she transferred to Columbia and graduated top of her class.

She traveled to Sweden where she wrote a book which influenced her thinking on gender equality. She began her career as a professor at both Rutgers Law School and Columbia Law School teaching Civil Procedure. She spent most of her legal career as an advocate for gender equality and women’s rights.

She spent 27 years in the Supreme Court, nominated by President Bill Clinton where he said “The more I think about it, the less surprised I am because in a time where people are so cynical, Ruth Ginsburg symbolizes everything that is best about America and she was always completely on the level, and she just seemed to be authentic and a person first. And she never disappointed on that.” Clinton also stated “She was only different as I never anticipated she would become, later in her life, a cultural icon and we’d all be doing her exercise routine,”

Ginsburg was the second woman to serve on the United States highest court and while she was there she did so much such as authored the court’s opinion in United States v. Virginia in 1996, which struck down the Virginia Military Institute’s male-only admissions policy as violating the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

She also spoke about abortion and the rights to women’s bodies by saying, “[t]he basic thing is that the government has no business making that choice for a woman.”

She did so much more regarding gender equality, the rights of women, and overall made the United States better, more progressive.

Her work needs to be remembered and preserved and she kept this country progressive and fought for equal rights for all.