Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘Drivers License’ Rules the Streets

Her song drives past the lanes to the top!

Photo Courtesy of vulture.com

Olivia Rodrigo’s song ‘Drivers License’ turns the heads of our newer generations.

Sofia Estrella, Staff Writer

High School Musical the series star Olivia Rodrigo released her second single Drivers License on January 8th and only three days later hit 15.7 million streams.

Her song reached number 1 on billboards becoming the biggest weekly streams for any song in Spotify history. 

Olivia is only seventeen years old and has already released two hit singles.

Following the release of Drivers License, many celebrities praised Olivia for her song including her said to be idol, Taylor Swift. After posting to Instagram about her song being next to Taylor’s song off her new album Evermore on iTunes, Taylor then commented, I say that’s my baby and I’m really proud”.

Other celebrities like Cardi B, Hailey Beiber, James Charles, Niall Horan, have also reached out on social media to praise the song. 

Through the song’s success, there has been many speculations as to what the meaning behind the song is. Many people on social media have speculated that the song was referencing Olivia’s rumored “ex” and co-star, Joshua Bassett. After things supposedly ended with them, he then began dating Disney star Sabrina Carpenter. 

Olivia has never commented on the matter and has said in an interview that “who it’s about isn’t really important.” she also stated,

“It’s resonating with people because of how emotional it is, and I think everything else is not important.”

The drama caused a roar in the media, for weeks this was all that was talked about and it got massive attention on the app TikTok. On January 15th Joshua Bassett released his song “Lie Lie Lie” which is suspected to be about Olivia as well.

On top of that, Sabrina Carpenter also released her song “Skin” that has been rumored to be a diss at Olivia’s song. Nothing has been confirmed by any of the stars in fact a lot of people speculated that the “drama” was just for publicity. “I felt embarrassed.”

Alta Loma Freshman Sienna Ortiz stated in regards to Sabrina’s song “Skin”.

She went on to say, “I like the song Driver’s License, it’s a good song and she has a good voice but I feel like it’s just starting fake drama. I kind of feel like it’s a PR stunt.” 

A lot of people are starting to think the same thing since not only did Olivia release a song but Joshua and Sabrina did as well and were featured on the internet for quite some time. 

Regardless of the meaning of the song, Olivia has managed to make it to the top of the music charts and is only seventeen years old. She has been recognized by countless celebrities and shows a lot of promise for the future in the music industry.